Monday, June 29, 2009

A President's Dinner



Jeff wanted to have a special dinner with his mission president before he left for DC. I thought it was a fantastic idea. After deciding to have the dinner at his family's house, I offered to cook a special dinner for Jeff, and to relieve a little of the cooking load on RobbiAnn. I told her that I would make coconut shrimp (which is excellent by the way), and a chocolate cake for dessert. I don't know what I was thinking taking a main course and dessert. As many of you know, I am not a cook...nor do I love doing it. I am trying though, and this time decided to cook everything from scratch. For those of you who have never made a cake from scratch...yes this means melting chocolate for the cake instead of using a mix, etc., etc....it is rough. Took all day. I even peeled the shrimp. Rough I tell you. Anyway, I took the almost finished products over to RobbiAnn's house and asked her to help me finish the cake which meant taking it out of the pans and frosting it. Well, it turned out like any other cake I make. Remember the part on Sleeping Beauty when all the fairies are putting together a birthday party for Aurora? Yeah, I am the cake fairy. My cake looked like it was melting...quite hilarious. President Sutherland even had to take a picture to remember the moment. Embarrassing? Yes. A memory I will never forget? Double Yes. From this experience I have decided that the good old crock pot dinner and ice cream is not such a bad idea when entertaining.

No comments: